Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sports Center Saturday: Front Page News

Just when I thought today couldn't get any better for genealogy, look what was in the mailbox today! It's Vol. 32, Issue No. 3 of Nebraska Ancestree, the official publication of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society. Why so special? Because a photograph from my personal collection appears on the cover.

It's been hard for me to keep this a secret for all these months, knowing that the photograph of the 1911 Greenwood, Nebraska baseball team would be on the cover sometime during 2011.


This photo originally appeared on this blog last October. Shortly thereafter, the President of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society, Floyd Smith III, emailed me and asked if the society could use the photo on a future issue, to coincide with baseball season. Of course, I said yes! Thank you, Floyd!

1911 Greenwood, Nebraska Baseball Club
original photo from my collection

William L Kelly, Sr. (back row, left), Jimmy Mann, Henry Weideman (manager), Clay Hansen, John Kimberly, Walter Burke, Clarence Stokes, Evan Armstrong, Ben Howard, Carl Weideman Played 54 games; won 48, lost 6.


4 comments:

  1. Way cool!! And how exciting - did you get to write anything to go with the picture???

    ReplyDelete
  2. They used the info from the original blog post with the names of everyone in the photo and my note about how you can always recognize Bill in photos because of the way he always cocks his hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really exciting to see something from you own collection get into print. Congratulations! As an avid baseball fan, I have to say I love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the photo, Biff. As I was posting this yesterday, I realized that the photo was 100 years old!

    ReplyDelete